Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My Book, His Paragraph


There are many thing I miss about my husband. I could write elaborate sentences about his generosity, helpfulness, chivalry, and romance. But there are many things I do not miss about my husband. I could write a very lengthy and equally elaborate paragraph about these things. No, I will not be writing these down. Ever. That information is for a choice few.

But if I am honest with myself, John could (and did) write beautiful things about me. And he could write a book about what he does not miss about me.

During this season of Lent, I have been reminded of death almost daily. My husband’s, friends who have cancer, my friend’s dog who has cancer, and trees that didn’t make it in our last snow storm. While running, I have been listening to “Songs for Lent” from a New York Hymns - a collection of songs based on the stations of the cross. It tells me the story over and over again about what Jesus did for me. It makes me grateful and it makes me want to turn away from the very things that He died for. My sins. The book that John could write about what he doesn’t miss about me.

So what are those things? You may know some of them as you read this and many you do not know. God knows them all and I know quite a few….but probably not all. So I ask myself, “What are those things that my eyes are not open to? What are those things that keep me from a pure relationship with God and with others?” The season of Lent is set aside for me to examine my heart, attitudes, and behaviors and turn away from those things that tie me down. Yeah….repent.

I am repenting from the book that John could write about me and developing the sentences or paragraphs that he and others could write about me now. But not for any other reason than to be thankful for the sin that is behind me and for the hope of future glory in store for me. To know the gravity of the cross and live in light of its promise is on my mind these days. But I am wanting to be honest about who I was, who I am, and who I will be.

What would your paragraph or book say?

No comments:

Post a Comment