Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Who I Want to Meet in Heaven


The other day in church, an oboist played a beautiful Bach partita or sonata or something and I leaned over to whisper in my kids’ ears “Daddy has met J.S. Bach”. He has. He probably has even told him that I am planning on taking violin lessons from him and that I plan on spending at least 3 years straight with him, playing through all of his duets, sonatas, trios, minuets, etc. Just me and Bach.

Then I started thinking about how many people I am looking forward to meeting, in addition to my favorite, Bach...

Paul
Mary
Noah’s wife
Eve
Job
Abraham Lincoln
C.S. Lewis
The woman at the well (I wanna know what she did after she told the town about Jesus? I bet she opened up an orphanage or something really brave. Also the woman from John 8….after Jesus told her to go. What did she go do with her dignity intact? What was her name? How did she live the rest of her life?)
Anyone who went to school with Jesus – maybe one of the girls who had a crush on Him
George Washington

Please understand that the number one person I am anxious to meet is Jesus Himself. To have Him look at me and say “Welcome home” will be the sweetest, most generous, and totally awesome thing that can and will EVER happen to me. And it will happen someday. But I want to get back to my point.

There is someone I really want to meet. I don’t even know her name. Or his name. Neither do you. Do you remember the verse in the Bible that says “whoever is the least among you will be the greatest”? The Bible often talks about how the lowly will be lifted up and the exalted will be brought down low….”the least of these”….My thought doesn’t have anything negative do to with these heroes I listed above. I can’t wait to eat dinner with them. They were GREAT down here. What I am so curious about is who are these “least of these” people? I want to go on long walks with them and hear how they managed life on earth. I want to behold their strength and courage and honor and take a tour of their HUGE mansion that God has built just for them. They are not talked about down here on earth. But I bet we will be serving them in heaven.

So I am looking forward to meeting the least of these.

And I’m pretty much looking forward to seeing John again. Right after Jesus.



1 comment:

  1. just stumbled upon this. love reading your words.

    ReplyDelete