Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Now I'm quoting Batman movies. What next?


Today, I ran on the treadmill at Gold’s Gym in their “cardio-theater”. (Sidebar: I was wearing my son Jake’s batman hat, only to find out they were showing “Dark Knight”. What a batman nerd I must have looked like.) At the end of the movie (no, I did not run for over two hours – I came in for the last 15 minutes), the mayor was asked by a scared woman, “Where is Batman? Why wouldn’t he come?” The mayor answered, “Hopefully because he is busy.” This made me think of Jesus. Let me explain.

Movies and stories now have different meaning for me. I guess I am in search of meaning, of purpose, of healing….and words and beauty and music show me these things. Every sunset I see I think that John told God to show it to me as a reminder of His goodness. Every song I hear I listen for that one phrase that will speak to my soul   - “fashion my heart in Your alchemy”, a Jamie Barnes song. And even Batman and The Hobbit (that one is obvious…Batman not so much.)

Why wouldn’t Batman come? Hopefully because he was busy. Why hasn’t Jesus returned? Because He is busy. Too many times since last April I have sat across from someone and said “I just hope Jesus comes back soon to take us all away from this”. Perhaps because, and this is what I believe, He is busy making all things new. He is busy drawing people to Himself. He is fashioning my heart in His alchemy. He is not done.

He is busy with me alright. For the most part I like it. The painful, sad parts I could do without. But the grieving books are helping me put all these feelings in the right place. I am busy. Jesus is busy. Soon it will be time to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment